Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Priest, A Dog, and A Sampler

Our ancient, 13-year old dog, Ursa, received the Blessing of Sick Animals this past Sunday. We had spent the weekend at my parents' house so Ursa was with us when we drove back Sunday morning. Ursa was having unusually bad leg pain over the weekend. A vet said it could be a fracture due to brittle bones caused by Old Age or bone cancer. I asked our priest if he could give Ursa a blessing. Traditionally there is a Blessing of the Animals on St. Francis' Day in October. This was a Blessing for Sick Animals. I can imagine the importance of this blessing years ago in rural communities where your livestock was all the wealth you might have. And yes, Ursa is much better and is putting weight on her hurt leg.
I have restarted my sampler rotation. I had gotten out of the habit because I was missing various threads I needed. There must be a gremlin in my house who likes cross stitch thread! Hmmm.. .I can think of two...



Posted by Picasa

 

3 comments:

Angela said...

I'm glad Ursa is feeling better. :)

Jerry said...

We're not going to the dogs: the dogs are coming to us! After a weekend of little improvement, Ursa's leg got better within a few hours of her blessing.

Deb said...

What a precious gesture to have Ursa blessed that way. It's so heartwarming and such a kind thing to know our pets will be with us always. I love your sampler, Michele!