Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oh, Grow Up!

 

My brother told me Americans have the oldest children in the world. Well, I disagree with that. Another country definitely comes to my mind. But so what? If you are not going to marry until at least your twenties, why grow up (I mean, um, romantically...) too soon? I would rather my little girls play with their toys and listen to Anne of Green Gables than watch and listen to things more appropriate for teenagers. High School Musical? My kid is 7! She does not need to know the ins and outs of broken hearts, cliques, what boys want, and all the other things Disney thinks she should know anytime soon. Now I realize Anne of Green Gables has heartbreak and mean girls. But I think it is presented a bit differently than Cheetah Girls! They have the rest of their lives to "grow up." But this is the period of sweet girlhood, and I want to take full advantage of it.

My baby can change her sheets, say "good morning" and "thank you" to adults, and put a Pop Tart in the microwave. That's grown up enough for now.

Posted by Picasa

 

4 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

I totally agree....I want my little girl to enjoy being a little girl...She does want to wear makeup and fingernail polish like momma does but what little doesn't want to be like momma...So yes I will try my best to keep my lexi loveing all the little girl things as long as I can...She is only 4 and will be 24 before I know it...I know since I have a 28 yr old one and she grew up way to fast.

Margaret said...

Well done. I adore Anne of Green Gables. Did you know it is the 100 years anniversary this year The Japanese love Anne and they issued a special set of stamps to commemorate.
I bought an Anne sampler from Charland Designs and plan on making a small Anne scrapbook. She is still my greatest delight from Childhood
I have bookmarked your blog to read

Nancy said...

Amen and good for you. :)Nancy

Kelly said...

Great points! I feel the same way, and I just finished rereading Anne of Green Gables! You are never too old for that one.